Andalusia in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School
Today, the Andalusia City Hall houses city government offices and is a host site for meetings and special events. Modern information, technology, and communications of city government mesh with the original wood flooring and other details of a bygone era to create an atmosphere that speaks of Andalusia's commitment to her future and pride in her past.
This building was originally erected as the Three Notch School and is the oldest existing school building in Andalusia. The property was acquired in 1902 from Mrs. Malachi Riley. The Three Notch School was built in 1914 at the cost of $100,000 by Andalusia Manufacturing Company. The architect was C. Frank Galliher. Luther E. Brown was the school superintendent and Abner R. Powell Sr. was the mayor. The auditorium in the school was the center of Andalusia's cultural and civic activities. The stately building served as a school for Andalusia children for 85 years. In 2002, during the first administration of Mayor Earl V. Johnson, a restoration project was
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Andalusia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 31° 18.507′ N, 86° 28.599′ W. Marker is in Andalusia, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker is at the intersection of East 3 Notch Street and 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East 3 Notch Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 East 3 Notch Street, Andalusia AL 36420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rodney J. Evans (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Covington County War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Purple Heart Memorial (about 500 feet away); Covington County Veterans Memorial Park (about 600 feet away); Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams (approx. ¼ mile away); First National Bank BuildingOld Courthouse Clock Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andalusia.
Also see . . . Andalusia History. (Submitted on April 24, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 24, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.