Red Lion Hundred in Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Delaware City Public School
Erected 2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-178.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives, and the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series lists.
Location. 39° 34.419′ N, 75° 35.639′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. It is in Red Lion Hundred. It is on Clinton Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 Clinton Street, Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Wilmington and in Greater Philadelphia. It is also in the American Mid-Atlantic, on the Delmarva Peninsula, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Netherland and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Christ Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware City Fire Company (approx. Ό mile away); "Old Fire Bell" (approx. Ό mile away); Michelle N. Smith Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort DuPont (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Delaware City Fire Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Floated Across The River (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
Also see . . . Delaware City Historic District - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form.
407 Clinton Street - 1883, "Delaware City Public School"; 2-story, 3-bay, brick school building with\ facade located on a gable end; the roof is edged by a molded box cornice with partial returns and cutwork brackets; the windows are6/6 sash with brick relieving arches; a corbeled brick cornice divides the first and second floors; a frame cupola was originally situated on the ridgeline above the facade, but this has been removed; this building served as a public school until a new one was built in 1931 (see .232); it was used as a U.S.O. center during World War II and then provided space for a parochial school during the1950's; it currently serves as the town hall and public library.(Submitted on November 21, 2024, by Pete Skillman of Townsend, Delaware.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.


