Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lincoln's Speech

 
 
Lincoln's Speech Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Lincoln's Speech Marker
Inscription.  On June 10, 1848, Congressman Abraham Lincoln traveled to Wilmington, Delaware, for the purpose of addressing a meeting of members of the Whig political party. He was accompanied by Delaware Representative John W. Houston and two other members of Congress, who were returning to Washington from the Whig National Convention that had chosen Zachary Taylor as the party's presidential nominee. The future President and his colleagues delivered their remarks from a balcony at the east end of the Fourth Street Market House, a complex of buildings which then stood in the center of 4th Street between Orange and Market. Introduced as the "Lone Star of Illinois," Mr. Lincoln was greeted with great enthusiasm by those in attendance. In a speech that was praised as "eloquent and patriotic," he extolled the principles of the Whig party and the virtue of its candidates. This was his only documented visit to the First State. After serving one term in Congress, he left public office to return to his law practice in Illinois. In 1860, Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th President of the United States.
 
Erected 2008 by
Lincoln's Speech Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Lincoln's Speech Marker
Mounted on wall in center of building.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-181.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives, the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is June 10, 1848.
 
Location. 39° 44.411′ N, 75° 33.071′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on 4th Street just south of Market Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Farmers Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); "Sign of the Ship" Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Garrett (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brown v. Board of Education (about 400 feet away); Delaware's Jewish Community (about 500 feet away); Willingtown Square (about 600 feet away); Grand Lodge of Delaware A.F.&A.M. (about 600 feet away); Old Town Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94199

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 3, 2022