Worthington Historic District
Worthington was founded in 1803 by the Scioto Company, settlers from Connecticut, and named after Thomas Worthington, a major proponent of Ohio statehood. The original plat included a 3 ½ acre village green bounded on the east by 1 ½ acre school and church lots. The green was surrounded by 160 residential and commercial lots, each measuring ¾ of an acre. By 1812, Worthington was a finalist for designation as the capital of Ohio.
The Worthington Historic District has evolved over more than 200 years from the center of a small village to the hub of a suburban community. The district includes numerous architectural styles: Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, American Four Square, Colonial Revival, Cape Cod, and vernacular styles. The Worthington Historic District, framed by North, South, Morning, and Evening Streets, encompasses the original village. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. (Logo)
Erected 2012. (Marker Number 116- 25.)
Topics and series. This historical
Location. 40° 5.288′ N, 83° 1.08′ W. Marker is in Worthington, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on North High Street (U.S. 23) near Village Green SE, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the Worthington Village Green. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 694 Village Green Dr SE, Columbus OH 43085, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bicentennial Oak (about 400 feet away); Eclectic Medical College (about 500 feet away); The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community (about 600 feet away); Worthington Masonic Museum (about 600 feet away); Orange Johnson House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Worthington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.