Snowden- Gray House
Philip T. Snowden, owner of a fancy dry goods and millinery, built the Italianate-style residence at 530 East Town Street in 1852. The house was part of the fashionable University Place addition on the east side of the city. From 1862-1864 Ohio's governor, David Tod, lived here. Columbus philanthropist David S. Gray purchased the house in 1870 and his family held it until 1922. One of the city's premier architects, George Bellows, Sr. rebuilt the house in 1872. From 1923 to 1940, the house was the headquarters of the Columbus Women's Club. In 1951, the Kappa Kappa Gamma fraternity for women acquired the house as its national headquarters.
Six students of Monmouth College in Illinois founded the Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity for women on October 13, 1870. Kappa Kappa Gamma was a founding member of the National Panhellenic Conference in 1902. In 1951, Kappa Kappa Gamma established its headquarters on Town Street when it purchased the Snowden-Gray House. The house was restored between 1981 and 2000 to depict the daily life and culture of the Victorian era. As of 2014, Kappa is an
Erected 2014 by Kappa Kappa GammaFoundation Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 119- 25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 39° 57.634′ N, 82° 59.152′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on East Town Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kelton House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deaf School Park (about 600 feet away); Topiary Garden (about 700 feet away); Wesley Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bryden Road Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus Main Library / Judge Noah Swayne Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Ohio Institution for Education of the Blind (approx. ¼ mile away); George Bellows / Roy Lichtenstein (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 352 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.