Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hockessin in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin

 
 
First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker
Inscription.  Local tradition states that a school was present at this location as early as 1829. However, in 1878 the first documented school for African-Americans in Hockessin was established in this vicinity. The school was funded and built primarily by the local African-American community and church. Additional support for materials, books, and the teacher's salary was provided by the Delaware Association for the Moral Improvement and Education of Colored People. Students typically attended school from two to five months between November and March to coincide with the agricultural off-season. Depending on the time of year, enrolled students varied from less than 10 to approximately 40. In 1891 responsibility for funding Delaware public schools was transferred to county superintendants and the school was placed in District 107. The land on which the school stood was sold in 1900 by Edward McGovern to Lodge No. 4 of the Colored American Protective Association. Shortly after, the land was conveyed to School District 107. In 1920 the original school was replaced by Hockessin School #107C (colored) on nearby Mill Creek Road, a school funded by P.S. duPont's
First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Delaware School Auxiliary. The original 1878 schoolhouse is now incorporated into a private residence on this property.
 
Erected 2012 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-194.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1829.
 
Location. 39° 47.092′ N, 75° 42.01′ W. Marker is in Hockessin, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Grant Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 634 Grant Avenue, Hockessin DE 19707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hockessin School #107C (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chippey African Union Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); James Henry "Nip" Winters (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John The Evangelist Church (approx. half a mile away); Cox-Phillips-Mitchell Agricultural Complex (approx. 0.7 miles away); Chair of Honor (approx. 0.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hockessin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94251

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 31, 2021