Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Costa in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

McNear Warehouse

 
 
McNear Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
December 16, 2015
1. McNear Warehouse Marker
Inscription.  This warehouse was built in 1886 by G.W. McNear, as the first fireproof building in Contra Costa County. It was built for the storage of wheat, hay and potatoes. From 1881 to 1882 one-hundred and three ships of wheat were loaded in Port Costa. It withstood the fires of 1889, 1909, 1924, 1941 and the earthquakes of 1892 and 1906.
 
Erected 1976 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
 
Location. 38° 2.79′ N, 122° 11.003′ W. Marker is in Port Costa, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Canyon Lake Drive near Erskine Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Canyon Lake Drive, Port Costa CA 94569, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Burlington Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Anza Expedition of 1776 (approx. ¾ mile away); Commodore Jones Point
McNear Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, April 26, 2016
2. McNear Warehouse Marker
The marker is to the left of the post office boxes.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. one mile away); Turner / Robertson Shipyard (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dedicated to the Memory of Pony Express Riders (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pony Express Ferry “Carquinez” (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jack London (approx. 1.2 miles away); Benicia Historic Tannery - Circa 1890 (approx. 1.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The McNear Warehouse is located at the end of Canyon Lake Drive, down by the waterfront.
 
McNear Warehouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, April 26, 2016
3. McNear Warehouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 19, 2019.   2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94253

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 2, 2022