St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fear of War, People of Peace
To assure a place of safety they built a fort at St. Mary's City armed with cannons sent by Lord Baltimore on the Ark. Archaeologists have not yet pinpointed the location of the fort, but his iron cannon may have been used there. It was discovered under the water of the St. Mary's River in 1824.
Although there were periodic conflicts with Virginians, the Yaocomaco Indians generously welcomed the settlers in 1634. The fort never needed as a place of refuge or defense against Indian raids.
“ we have seated ourselves, within one half mile of the river, with a palizado of one hundred and twenty yarde square with foure flankes, we have mounted one peece of ordinance a fortification (we think) sufficient to defend against any such weake enemies we have reason to expect here.” — Leonard Calvert, May 30 1634
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1634.
Location. 38° 11.028′ N, 76° 25.846′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Point Lookout Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Land in Need of Labor (within shouting distance of this marker); Why Is This Barn Here? (within shouting distance of this marker); " once the Metropolis" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carpenters' Marks (about 300 feet away); Constructed With Colonial Ideas (about 300 feet away); To Market! To Market! (about 300 feet away); How Old Is This Barn? (about 300 feet away); Tree Growth Rings (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary's City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.