Belleville in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Belleville Copper Rolling Mill
— Hendricks Bros —
Owned by 5 generations of Hendricks
Supplied copper sheeting for
“The Demologus” - First U. S. steam war vessel in 1814
“The Savannah” - First steam propelled vessel to cross Atlantic in 1818
“Old Ironsides” - Famous early locomotive built by Matthias W. Baldwin, 1832.
Harmon Hendricks donated 20 acres of land to the Essex County Park Commission on July 24, 1924
Erected 1976 by Belleville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1972.
Location. 40° 47.37′ N, 74° 10.383′ W. Marker is in Belleville, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is on Mill Street west of South Franklin Avenue (New Jersey Route 645), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belleville NJ 07109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Branch Brook Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battle of Second River Karr/Milburn House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Forest Hill Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away); Morris Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sydenham House (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Victory (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belleville.
Regarding Belleville Copper Rolling Mill.
Formally the Soho Copper Company, the Belleville Copper Rolling Mill was established in Belleville, NJ in 1813. There was good water power, and water transportation both by canal and the Passaic River. The Hendricks bros. were importers of copper and other metals, and employed over 100 men, mostly Irish immigrants. The buildings on the property were made of brick and roofed with tiles imported from Europe. The rolling-mill itself was made of wood. Together, the plant and machinery cost approx. $50,000 (1913), and were intended for the purpose of furnishing the US government with heavy copper sheets
for boilers, and bolts for ship-building during the War of 1812.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,077 times since then and 78 times this year. Last updated on May 5, 2016, by Ron Reyer of Glendale, Arizona. Photos: 1. submitted on July 14, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. 5, 6. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Ron Reyer of Glendale, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.