River Forest in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
River Forest, Illinois
Proud Heritage – Bright Future
On the east bank of the Des Plaines River, a steam powered sawmill built in the 1830s provided lumber for an expanding population. Its future co-owner, Ashbelle Steele, was the first European settler in the county, arriving in 1836. In 1859 he contracted for the landmark brick “Harlem School.” The Pennsylvania Turnpike (now Lake Street), was laid out in 1842 and one of the first planked roads in America. In 1880 prosperous settlers influenced by the temperance movement incorporated River Forest. The town installed electric street lights in 1890. In 1914 the River Forest Park District purchased Washington Square to prevent an ice manufacturer from coming into town. Likewise, the Forest Preserve District of Cook County purchased a portion of Thatcher Woods in 1917 to preserve an oak savanna.
Erected 2012 by Patrick Yerkes, Troop 65, Eagle Scout Project, Illinois Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 41° 52.942′ N, 87° 49.267′ W. Marker is in River Forest, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on Forest Ave, 0.1 miles south of Washington Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: approx 125 Forest Ave, River Forest IL 60305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic Maywood Home for Soldiers' Widows (approx. 0.9 miles away); Haymarket Martyrs’ Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Birthplace of Oak Park (approx. one mile away); Oak Park Station (approx. one mile away); Continental DivideThe History of Austin Gardens (approx. 1.2 miles away); Moore-Dugal Residence (approx. 1.3 miles away); Grace W. Trout (approx. 1.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a part of Illinois State Historical marker series.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.