Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Hockaday School
Opened on September 25, 1913, in a large house on Haskell Avenue, the school became known as the Miss Hockaday School for Girls. With an initial enrollment of ten students and four part-time teachers, the school began a tradition of excellence in education following Hockaday's cornerstones of "character, scholarship, courtesy, and athletics."
Experiencing steady growth in enrollment of resident and day students, the school expanded its primary and secondary curriculum in later years to establish a junior college, in operation from 1931 to 1951.
Moved in 1919 to a campus on Greenville Avenue, the Hockaday School was relocated
(Incise on Base) Virginia Maxson Buchanan-Smith '60 Mary Maxson Thompson '67
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6742.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is September 25, 1913.
Location. 32° 54.413′ N, 96° 49.774′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Welch Road and Hockaday Drive, on the right when traveling north on Welch Road. Mounted on the right side of the exit gate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11600 Welch Rd, Dallas TX 75229, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cox House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Merrell Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Mark's School of Texas (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ursuline Academy (approx. 1.9 miles away); Marsh Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Pioneers of Mustang Branch (approx. 2½ miles away); Webb Chapel Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 7, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.