Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arcata in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Jacoby's Storehouse

 
 
Jacoby's Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, September 13, 2021
1. Jacoby's Storehouse Marker
Inscription.  Originally built in 1857 by Augustus Jacoby, this building was constructed of locally quarried stone and brick. This was the first fire proof building in Humboldt County. Jacoby left Arcata in 1862 and mercantile firms continued to occupy the "fireproof store warehouse". After the disastrous fire of 1875, which destroyed many buildings on the north and east sides of the Plaza including his own business, Alexander Brizard, in 1880, purchased the building as a new location for his mercantile business. In 1907 the second and third floors were added and the building was expanded to its current exterior shape. The Brizard family closed the building in 1974, renovating it to its current grandeur and reopening it in 1977 as a "business incubator". Since then, "The Storehouse" has served as a home to a variety of retail shops, restaurants and offices.
 
Erected 2012 by Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 135-8.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West
Jacoby's Storehouse image. Click for full size.
By Erik Christeson, February 11, 2012
2. Jacoby's Storehouse
The marker is behind the California Bear Flag, prior to the dedication ceremony, to the left and below the reddish oval marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 40° 52.059′ N, 124° 5.229′ W. Marker is in Arcata, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and H Street, on the right when traveling west on 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 780 7th Street, Arcata CA 95521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jacoby Building (a few steps from this marker); First Methodist Society on Humboldt Bay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gregg-Wood Party and the Union Company (about 600 feet away); Minor Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Phillips House (approx. half a mile away); Camp Curtis (approx. 1.6 miles away); Arcata and Mad River Rail Road Company (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hose Company Number 4 (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arcata.
 
Dedication image. Click for full size.
By Erik Christeson, February 11, 2012
3. Dedication
Grand President David Allen concludes the dedication ceremony.
Jacoby's Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, September 13, 2021
4. Jacoby's Storehouse Marker
On the back of the building, near the bank.
Jacoby's Storehouse image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, 2017
5. Jacoby's Storehouse
The front of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 772 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 5, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.   2. submitted on May 7, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.   3. submitted on May 8, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.   4. submitted on October 2, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.   5. submitted on August 5, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94513

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2022