Gilbert in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Gilbert Elementary School
In 1916 a north wing was constructed. This wing consisted of two basement rooms and two classrooms just above ground level. A water fountain was installed for the teachers and students. In 1925 the south wing was built adding two additional classrooms. By 1931 the population of students had risen to 281.
This school closed in 1977. In 1982 the Gilbert Historical Society began leasing the building and opened it as a museum in May of that year. In 1985 the society purchased the building from the school district
Erected 2012 by Gilbert Leadership Class XX 2012 - Chamber of Commerce.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 33° 20.963′ N, 111° 47.399′ W. Marker is in Gilbert, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker can be reached from South Gilbert Road south of West Elliott Road, on the right when traveling south. The building is located at the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 South Gilbert Road, Gilbert AZ 85296, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gilbert Town Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clement's Garage (approx. ¼ mile away); Creed Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dance Pavilion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pump House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bank of Gilbert (approx. 0.4 miles away); Liberty Market (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tone Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilbert.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2016, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 12, 2016, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.