Granville in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
An Early Center of Education / Educating Young Women
An Early Center of Education
Just three weeks after reaching Granville, pioneer villagers decided on December 9, 1805 to build a log cabin where eighty children would attend school. By 1820, public school classes were being held in a three-story brick building. When rail lines and the National Road bypassed the village, dreams of becoming an industrial and commercial center were dashed. Educational institutions, however, thrived and by the Civil War Granville's citizens had organized the following: the Granville Literary and Theological Institution, later called Granville College and then renamed Denison University; the Granville Female Seminary, the Granville Episcopal Female Seminary, the Young Ladies' Institute, the Granville Female Academy, and the Granville Male Academy. As Granville enters its third century, educational excellence continues to attract students to the community's schools.
Educating Young Women
Granville's citizens were early advocates of advanced education for women. By 1827, thirty young ladies attended a "Select School." The Granville Congregational
Erected 2009 by Granville Historical Society, Denison University, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 25-45.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 9, 1805.
Location. 40° 4.098′ N, 82° 31.461′ W. Marker is in Granville, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on West Broadway 0.1 miles east of North Plum Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granville OH 43023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The Elias Gilman House / The Wee White House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founding of Granville, The Licking Company / The Granville Site "The most eligible part" (approx. ¼ mile away); Granville Opera House (approx. ¼ mile away); Bolen Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); The Granville Academy / The Anti-Slavery Movement (approx. ¼ mile away); Bank of the Alexandrian Society (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Colony Burying Ground, 1805 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 12, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.