Taylor in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Sell/Schonsheck House
The Sell/Schonsheck House, standing in its original location, was built circa 1900 by George W. Sell. The Sell family moved to Taylor in 1871 and farmed eighty acres of land. The produce was shipped by horse-drawn wagon to the Wyandotte market. Timber was culled on part of the property, and, at one time, a sawmill was located near the site. The bell atop the house, a replica of the original, was used to signal mealtimes, emergencies and the end of the farmhand's workday. The house and property were purchased with a grant from the Michigan Land Trust Fund.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 42° 12.944′ N, 83° 15.208′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Pardee Rd., 0.3 miles north of Northline Road. The house and marker are located with the historical buildings at the southwest corner of Heritage Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12405 Pardee Road, Taylor MI 48180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Coan Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); West Mound Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Greenwald Herkimer House (about 600 feet away); Taylor Heritage School (about 600 feet away); Hand Train Station (about 600 feet away); Water-Powered Mill (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Regarding The Sell/Schonsheck House. The house is currently being used as a photography studio.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.