Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911
⎯⎯⎯
Early Sister-Founderesses of Ohio Dominican University
Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911
The Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs founded Ohio Dominican University on this site on October 5, 1911. It was incorporated that year as the Ladies Literary Institute of St. Mary of the Springs, a "literary college and institution of learning for the general education and training of girls and young women" and authorized to grant college credit. The name was changed to the College of St. Mary of the Springs in 1924 when the founding Sisters expanded the collegiate curriculum to grant the four-year degree of Bachelor of Arts. Following a decision in 1964 to admit men, the name was changed to Ohio Dominican College in 1968. With the addition of graduate degree programs, the name was changed to Ohio Dominican University in 2002. Today, the institution serves traditional and adult students, reflecting the Dominican belief in lifelong learning.
Early Sister-Founderesses of Ohio Dominican University
Two remarkable women helped to lead Ohio Dominican in its first two decades. Mother Vincentia Erskine, Order of Preachers, Mother General of the Congregation of Dominican Sisters, initiated in 1911 the process that enabled the Ladies Literary Institute of St. Mary of the Springs to grant college-level credit for courses. Mother Stephanie Mohun, Order of Preachers, served as the Prioress-President of the Institute from 1911 to 1914 and was elected Mother General of the Dominican Sisters in 1923. Under her leadership, the Institute received authorization to grant the Bachelor of Arts degree and became the College of St. Mary of the Springs in 1924. In the late 1920s, Mother Stephanie also launched the initiative that built Erskine and Sansbury Halls. Both were completed in 1929, just as the college and the nation were beginning to suffer the effects of the Great Depression.
Erected 2010
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Education • Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 39° 59.558′ N, 82° 56.46′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. It is in Teakwood. It is on Sunbury Road, on the left when traveling south. marker is on the campus of Ohio Dominican University in front of Erskine Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1216 Sunbury Rd, Columbus OH 43219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Ohio’s Scioto Valley. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Spirit of the Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Mary of the Springs Academy / Anne O'Hare McCormick 1880-1954 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alum Creek & The Underground Railroad / The Underground Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aminah Brenda Lynn Robinson Home Studio and Artist's Residence (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Jeffrey Mansion & Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mount Vernon Community School (approx. 1½ miles away); Bexley (approx. 1.6 miles away); Camp Bushnell (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 763 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 14, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.



