Sylvania in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Toledo and Western Railway Company
Ohio Historical Marker
Sylvania was once the headquarters for the Toledo and Western Railway, an electric interurban line that provided service between Toledo and Pioneer with a branch line to Adrian, Michigan. Construction began here in 1900 with planning and specifications set to steam railroad standards. With completion of rails, a powerhouse, maintenance facilities, and offices, the Toledo and Western Railway Company was soon in the business of providing freight and passenger service and was especially competitive as it owned more freight engines than most interurban lines. Operating an electric interurban line also meant that the company had the ability to provide electricity to people living in Sylvania and to other communities and property owners living along the line's right-of-way. Besides freight, passengers, and electricity, Toledo and Western also provided postal service, one of the first interurban lines to do so.
Erected 2008 by City of Sylvania and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 54-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 41° 42.865′ N, 83° 42.192′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Ohio, in Lucas Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5505 South Main Street, Sylvania OH 43560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Remembering With Honor (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lathrops of Sylvania, Lucas County, Ohio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sylvania Heritage Museum (approx. ¼ mile away); Sister City Garden (approx. ¼ mile away); Log Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Sylvania Historical Village (approx. ¼ mile away); Stone Academy (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 20, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.