Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ione in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Quincy - Ione's Sister City

 
 
Quincy - Ione's Sister City Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 21, 2016
1. Quincy - Ione's Sister City Marker
Inscription.  Quincy, located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of here off Mule Creek, was one of the cities within the boundaries of Rancho Arroyo, or the grant, that suddenly appeared in the early 1850's.

Don Andreas Pico purchased the grant from Teodosio Yorba in 1844 with 500 head of longhorn cattle.

Before its destruction, Quincy was quite large. According to the "Quincy Prospector," it rivaled Sacramento in its best days (copies on file in the state archives).

Quincy was built by the settlers coming to California during and before the "Gold Rush" of 1849. The people of Quincy were shocked and astonished when Pico and his vaqueros rode in from Mission San Jose to inform them to vacate, as they were trespassing. Pico was entirely within his rights.

Years of bloodshed followed. This loosely organized war of murder and ambush diminished with the arrival of a battalion of infantry, a battery of field artillery and a troop of cavalry from the Presidio of San Francisco. They garrisoned the area well after 1865.

This came too late, however, for Pico's wife, murdered during this period. Her grave was located
Quincy Monument image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 21, 2016
2. Quincy Monument
The guard shack for Mule Creek State Prison can be seen on the left...don't annoy the guards, they will be over to talk to you.
The monument is visible on the right.
Click or scan to see
this page online
6 miles south of Quincy, near the Miwok town of Uoo-Poo-Soo-Ne. Finally, the settlers were given the choice of Ione or Quincy. With Ione the winner, Quincy was evacuated, burned and dynamited to the ground in two weeks.

After all this time and destruction, aerial photographs still show the four lane main street with parking, and its many large side streets revealed by the short grass cover of the streets against the longer grasses inside the old foundations.
 
Erected 1987 by Ione Parlor #33 and Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West, Everett White Jr., Grand President.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
 
Location. 38° 22.068′ N, 120° 57.323′ W. Marker is in Ione, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from Michigan Bar Road (California Route 104) 1˝ miles from East Plymouth Highway (California Route 124). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 Hwy 104, Ione CA 95640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Preston Castle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scully Ranch (approx. one mile away); Ione Brewery (approx.
The Old Mining Town-Quincy Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 21, 2016
3. The Old Mining Town-Quincy Marker
The above plaque was originally dedicated March 14, 1987
Formally mounted and re-dedicated May 12, 2006
by the
Native Sons of the Golden West
Thomas J. Sears II, Grand President
1˝ miles away); The Heirloom (approx. 1˝ miles away); Steam Flour Mill (approx. 1˝ miles away); Iron Ivan (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Red Brick Building Saloon (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ione City Hall (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ione.
 
More about this marker. This marker is inside the west entrance to Mule Creek State Prison (before the guard shack).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94747

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 22, 2021