Sylvania in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Centennial Terrace and Quarry / Fossil Park
In 1931, the France Stone Company ceased operations. Robert Burge leased 19 acres of the site for recreational swimming and opened Centennial Quarry in 1934. Five years later, Burge and associates opened Centennial Terrace, whose centerpiece was "Dancing Under the Stars," an outdoor, 10,000 square-foot Terrazzo dance floor. Centennial Terrace was a regular stop for many big bands of the 1940s and '50s. In 1969, the complex was donated to Lucas County and local band leaders kept the people dancing from 1971 to 1993. In 1994, the City of Sylvania leased the facility and renovated and reopened the quarry. The Sylvania Area Joint Recreation District purchased the complex in 2007 and made further improvements to insure that Centennial Terrace and Quarry remains a popular recreation destination.
Fossil Park opened on September 22, 2001, the result of a partnership by the City of Sylvania, Hanson Aggregates Midwest, Inc. and The Olander Park System. The park is where
Erected 2012 by Sylvania Area Joint Recreation District, City of Sylvania, Fossil Friends, The Olander Park System, Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 62-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Paleontology. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 42.947′ N, 83° 44.645′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Centennial Road south of Sylvania-Metamora Road, on the left when traveling north. This marker is located on a traffic island between two driveway entrances, along the west side of the roadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5773 Centennial Road, Sylvania OH 43560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hindu Temple and Heritage Hall (approx. 1.9 miles away); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad 1858 Railroad Depot (approx. 2 miles away); Railroad Car Barn (approx. 2.1 miles away); 1850 Barn (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stone Academy (approx. 2.1 miles away); Log Home (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sylvania Historical Village (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 471 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 25, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.