La Grange in Stanislaus County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
LaFayette Historical Lodge #65
The Odd Fellows purchased the two story jail from the County in 1862 and it was used for meetings until 1880. In 1880 land was purchased from Mrs. Margaret A. Basso for $100 – in gold coin. G. W. Jones, a member was contracted to build a two story structure for $1350. The style was indicative of the Greek Revival architecture. The new Lodge was completed including two outhouses behind the building, on November 13, 1880. The official dedication was held on April 26, 1881. In February 1883, Alfred Warrington was paid $15 to make 16” high gilded letters to adorn the front of the Lodge. In 1884, a front porch was added for $15 and in 1885 new handmade wooden chairs came by ship from London by way of Cape Horn. These chairs are still in use today. Electric Lights were added in 1908.
LaGrange was the Stanislaus County seat from 1856-1862.
Erected 2003 by (Clamper Year 6008) Estanislao Chapter No. 58, E Clampus Vitus
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1883.
Location. 37° 39.814′ N, 120° 27.809′ W. Marker is in La Grange, California, in Stanislaus County. Marker is on Yosemite Boulevard (California Route 132), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30039 Yosemite Boulevard (California 132), La Grange CA 95329, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Grange Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Louis Mission (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old La Grange Schoolhouse (about 800 feet away); La Grange (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named La Grange (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Trading Post (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Barn – First Adobe Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on May 23, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1. submitted on May 20, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 2. submitted on May 23, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 20, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.