Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
Toledo High School opened in 1854 on the site of the city's first log schoolhouse. After an 1895 fire, it was rebuilt and named Central High School. The facility closed in 1914 with the opening of Scott and Waite high schools. It reopened as Woodward Technical School and later became Vocational High. The building was razed in 1938 for construction of the Toledo Public Library.
Although Toledo had a subscription library as early as 1838, the city's first free public library opened in 1873 at Madison and Summit streets. The library constructed a building at Madison and Ontario streets in 1890. The Public Works Administration helped finance the present building which was dedicated on September 4, 1940. The county's three library systems merged in 1970.
Erected 1987 by Mercy Hospital of Toledo, Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-48.)
Topics and series. Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Education. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 39.229′ N, 83° 32.387′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of North Michigan Street and Madison Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Michigan Street. This marker is located on the grounds of the main downtown library of the Toledo-Lucas County, Public Library, and it is situated near the northwest corner of the nearby street intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 North Michigan Street, Toledo OH 43604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William McKinley Monument (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lucas County (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Lucas County (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo’s Canals (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spanish American War Memorial (approx. Toledo (approx. ¼ mile away); The Blade (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.