Near Kanab in Kane County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Kanab Fort was begun in 1864 under the direction of Jacob Hamblin as a protection from Indians and as a base to explore the region. Severe and frequent Indian attacks made it impractical to maintain the fort and it was abandoned in 1866. It was reoccupied in 1870 by Levi Stewart and others sent to do missionary work and to establish peace with the Indians. In December of the same year there was a fire in the fort that killed Levi's wife and five sons. There is a historical plaque in Kanab marking the site of the the fort honoring Jacob Hamblin and Levi Stewart.
The Fort you can see in the distance west of this sign, is a movie prop. In the 1930's the Parry brothers realized the potential of the movie industry in this area. The town was soon nicknamed “Little Hollywood” because so many movies were made in the area. This fort was built for the movie “Buffalo Bill”. The fort was intended to remain as a landmark and a set for other movies, but for the filming of “Fury at Furnace
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 37° 0.367′ N, 112° 31.724′ W. Marker is near Kanab, Utah, in Kane County. Marker is on U.S. 89A 0.4 miles north of Arizona State line, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kanab UT 84741, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Proud Rebel (approx. 2˝ miles away); Dan Duryea (approx. 2.6 miles away); Israel and Charlotte Cox Heaton (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gregory Peck (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rod Cameron (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ava Gardner & Howard Keel (approx. 2.6 miles away); Dub Taylor (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jack Nicholson and Will Hutchins (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kanab.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.