Kanab in Kane County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Ward Hall
The Kanab Chapel was built in 1923-24 on the southeast corner of the square. The Ward Hall continued to be used for some church meetings, but became more and more a place for drama, dances, and other forms of entertainment. The Kanab Stake Center was attached to the chapel in 1959 and shortly thereafter and the Ward Hall was torn down to make way for an LDS welfare storehouse that was never built; instead, the Old Rock Church in the town of Mount Carmel seventeen miles north of Kanab was used as the area storehouse. The land remained vacant until the property was sold to the State Bank of Southern Utah in 1978. Additional information is available at the Kanab
Erected 2012 by Kanab Heritage and Historic Preservation Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 37° 2.894′ N, 112° 31.807′ W. Marker is in Kanab, Utah, in Kane County. Marker is on West Center Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 98 West Center Street, Kanab UT 84741, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan Woodward (here, next to this marker); Edward Faulkner (within shouting distance of this marker); Coleen Gray (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Boone (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rat Pack (within shouting distance of this marker); Tex Ritter (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Virgil Riggs (about 300 feet away); Robert Taylor (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kanab.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.