Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Scotchmen John Craig, Esq. emigrated with his family from Northern Ireland to the Waxhaws in 1772 and began Craig Farm in 1773. John Craig, Jr. gave the land for Shiloh A.R. Presbyterian Church in 1821. Craig House was built by Nathaniel Craig about 1825, and was occupied by Union troops in April 1865. Wed at Kilburnie on North White St. in 1883, John Edgar and Amanda Drennan Craig added the Victorian front to Craig House in 1901. The house was restored in 1990, the the rear and north wings are early 21st Century additions. The house has been continuously occupied by members of the Craig family since its construction.
Craig House was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1865.
Location. 34° 45.45′ N, 80° 46′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Craig Farm Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1859 Craig Farm Road, Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Kilburnie (within shouting distance of this marker); Barr's Tavern Site (approx. 1.3 miles away); Clinton Memorial Cemetery / Isom C. Clinton (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lancaster County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.6 miles away); Thomas H Davis (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Springs Block (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Also see . . .
1. Craig House. The Craig House is an intact example of a mid-nineteenth century rural farmhouse with early twentieth century alterations, and is typical of Lancaster County agricultural properties from the period. The residence is a two-story, originally L-shaped, frame building covered in clapboard with a brick pier foundation with concrete block infill. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Kilburnie Inn at Craig Farm. Kilburnie is a most welcoming and relaxing Bed and Breakfast Inn with the aura of a small boutique hotel. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.