Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Highland City in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Fraser

 
 
Fort Fraser Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dean Moss McCracken, May 31, 2016
1. Fort Fraser Marker
Inscription.  In this immediate vicinity was the site of Fort Fraser. Established by General Zachary Taylor November, 1837 on his march against the Seminoles culminating in the Battle of Okeechobee. Erected by the Fourth Infantry and garrisoned by the Second Artillery and the First Infantry, U.S.A. & Florida Volunteers.
 
Erected 1957 by Polk County Historical Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1837.
 
Location. 27° 56.921′ N, 81° 51.99′ W. Marker is in Highland City, Florida, in Polk County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Bartow Road (U.S. 98) and County Road 540A, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located on the Fort Fraser Trail which runs parallel to US 98N. The marker is between CR540A and Smith Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bartow FL 33830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Circle B Bar Ranch
Fort Fraser Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dean Moss McCracken, May 31, 2016
2. Fort Fraser Marker
Looking north up the Fort Fraser Trail. US 98N is visible to the west.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.2 miles away); Mann Manor (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Polk County Courthouse (approx. 3.9 miles away); Site of Fort Blount (approx. 3.9 miles away); Co E 7th Florida Inf Regt South Florida Bulldogs (approx. 3.9 miles away); Swearingen - Langford House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Historic L. B. Brown House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Memorial for Austin C. Welch (approx. 4½ miles away).
 
Regarding Fort Fraser. Fort Fraser was named for Captain Upton S. Fraser who was killed at the Dade Massacre in December, 1835. This was the first battle of the Second Seminole War (1835-1842).

After activating Ft. Fraser, Colonel Zachary Taylor's men built a new military road to the east and established Ft. Gardiner in early December, 1837 on the Kissimmee River. Following the Battle of Okeechobee, for several months, Ft. Fraser received wounded soldiers, captured Seminoles and African Americans. The captured Seminoles were then taken to Ft. Brooke (Tampa) to be transported to Arkansas.

Ft. Fraser was abandoned by the US Army on May 20, 1838. However, during the Third Seminole or Billy Bowlegs War (1855-1858) the fort was used as protection for
Fort Fraser Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dean Moss McCracken, May 31, 2016
3. Fort Fraser Marker
Looking south down the Fort Fraser Trail. The location of the fort was several hundred yards to the east of the marker.
area families.

Sources:
Brown, Canter, Jr. In the Midst of All That Makes Life Worth Living: Polk County, Florida, to 1940. Polk County Historical Association, Sentry Press, Tallahassee, Fl. 2001.
Mahon, John K. History of the Second Seminole War. University of Florida Press, Gainesville, Fl. 1967.
Spann, Joe, Short History of Fort Fraser. Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library, Fort Fraser File.
 
Fort Fraser Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dean Moss McCracken, June 9, 2016
4. Fort Fraser Marker
This map illustrates the military roads built during the 2nd and 3rd Seminole Indian Wars which crossed present day Polk County. Credit: Dr. Canter Brown, Jr. and the Polk County Historical Association collection. Click picture to enlarge.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2016, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2016, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=95102

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 3, 2022