Tallassee in Elmore County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA / Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters
In his lifetime General Birkett D. Fry was a cadet at Virginia Military Institute and West Point; 1st Lt. (U.S. Infantry) in Mexican War; lawyer in California; mercenary-soldier of fortune in Latin America; colonel (adjutant) of the 13th Alabama (CSA) Infantry Regiment in the Civil War when he was wounded in four different battles including Gettysburg, taken prisoner of war, then promoted to Brigadier General (May 1864); engaged in the tobacco business in Cuba; executive in the Taliassee Textile Mills; public school superintendent in Montgomery, AL; and president of the Richmond, VA Cotton Mill until his death. His body was returned to Montgomery where he was buried next to his wife in Oakwood Cemetery.
Fry was born in Kanawha County, WV (24 June 1822) and died in Richmond, VA (21 January 1891). The son of Thornton Fry (1786-1823) and Eliza R. Thompson (1794-1885), he was married to Martha Augusta Micou (1823-1878), the sister of Benjamin Hall Micou (1825-1887) who was president of the Tallassee Manufacturing Company
In the spring of 1864, the Confederate States of America (CSA) moved the Confederate Armory in Richmond, VA to Tallassee, AL, necessitating new housing for the officers and staff. With the help of the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Company, four houses were built on King Street, at 301, 303, 305, and 307.
The Confederate Armory closed in April 1865 at the end of the Civil War and the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Co. gained possession of the houses. The house at 303 King was demolished when the Bank of Tallassee was built. The other three remain.
After the Civil War, Brigadier-General (CSA) Birkett Davenport Fry (1822-1891) returned to Tallassee to live at 301 King Street until 1880, in his capacity as secretary for the Tallassee Mfg. Co., then successor to the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Co. From 1880 until 1966 it was the residence for the managers of the Tallassee Mills Company Stores. Samuel Hugh Scott (1867-1942) lived there from 1900-1942; Belser Ray Carr (1895-1966) followed from 1942-1966. In 2005, it became the office for The Segrest Law Firm.
Erected 2014 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce Patriots & Patriotism • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 32.198′ N, 85° 53.572′ W. Marker is in Tallassee, Alabama, in Elmore County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and North Ann Avenue, on the right when traveling east on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 King Street, Tallassee AL 36078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tallassee Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Tallassee (approx. half a mile away); Tukabahchi (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tallassee Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tukabatchee / Tokvpvcce (approx. 4.2 miles away); Franklin's Educational Legacy (approx. 7 miles away); Site of Thaddeus Post Office (approx. 7.1 miles away); George Stiggins (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallassee.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Birkett D. Fry. (Submitted on June 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.