Near Lueders in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Big Country Baptist Assembly
In 1923, 31.6 acres were purchased from S. Webb and L.H. Hill who were land developers of the town of Lueders. On July 14-23, 1925, some 10,000 campers pitched tents there for a time of Christian fellowship. Many believe that the Big Country Baptist Assembly is an original type of Christian camp now known as “Christian youth camp.” Five associations made up of 168 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention presently own the Big Country Baptist Assembly.
The site celebrated its 100-year anniversary in 1998. The campgrounds have changed drastically since the late 1800s as rope swings, swimming in
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17914.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 32° 47.883′ N, 99° 36.307′ W. Marker is near Lueders, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 142, 0.1 miles north of State Highway 6, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lueders TX 79533, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lueders Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Bud Matthews Switch of the Texas Central Railway (approx. 6.7 miles away); Butterfield Overland Mail (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bethel Lutheran Church The Cable Tool Oil Field (approx. 7.8 miles away); Smith's Station (approx. 8 miles away); Cold War Hardline Communications Pit (approx. 8 miles away); Swan's Chapel (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.