Cheyenne in Laramie County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Cheyenne Club
The Cheyenne Club, first known as the "Cactus Club," was organized in 1880 by several wealthy stockmen. It gained worldwide fame because of the European Cattle Barons who spent their summers in Cheyenne tending to their very large ranches and the winters in Europe. Apartments on the second floor accommodated members and their guests. Facilities included a world-class dining room with a Chef imported from Canada, a billiard room, card rooms, reading room, and a lounge for drinking and smoking on the first floor.
Rules were very strict - no profanity, no drunkenness, no blows struck, no cheating at cards, no smoking of pipes, no tipping, no betting, and no games on Sunday (no shooting was implied). Breaking of the rules meant immediate expulsion with no chance of reinstatement.
The cattle business was ruined with the blizzard of 1886-87 and the club lost its glamour but remained for cowboys and Cheyenne Frontier Days until 1909 when it became the "Industrial Club." Later taken over by the Cheyenne Chamber of Commerce (1927) it was torn down
This three-story Georgian-style home was originally built in 1889 across the street from the Cheyenne Club by William C. Irvine and soon sold to L.R. Bresnahan, prominent Cheyenne businessman and later five term Mayor. It remained the Bresnahan home until 1951 when it sold and was torn down. It is reported that this was the first home in the entire United States to have incandescent (filament) lighting.
White with green shutters ad mansard roof, this house was one of Cheyenne's show places. Thought of as a "treasure house" it was said to have bras chandeliers, Brussels net curtains, linen roller window-shades, and louvered shutters. The house also was boasted as having electric bells in the kitchen that could be rung from the master bedroom, the dining room, and the front door, all operated by brass knob pulls.
Erected by Cheyenne Historic Preservation Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 41° 8.064′ N, 104° 48.807′ W. Marker is in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in Laramie County. Marker is on East 17th Street near Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cheyenne Builders and Architects (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Cheyenne Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Plains Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); The Burlington Routes (about 700 feet away); The Cheyenne Opera House and Territorial Library (about 800 feet away); The Trolleys / Cheyenne's Street Railway (about 800 feet away); 1974 Downtown National Historic District (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheyenne.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 14, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.