Union City in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Fire Hall
Union City Heritage Water Trail
In 1872, the Village Council made an appropriation of $1500 to purchase the first fire fighting equipment, a hand fire engine hose cart and 500 ft. of hose. The engine was christened “The St. Joseph” and a 43 member volunteer department was organized. In 1876, a brick engine house costing $2450 was erected. It was a twin attached to the west side of the building above here. There was a jail cell in the back, the village offices were on the second floor, and a bell tower on top for calling firemen to duty. It was razed in 1970. The twin half of the historic building, a stable originally, went on to be a garage, Plain Dealer Antiques and The GAW Center for the Arts, Wellness and Events. The wooden building still standing to the east was a blacksmith shop until the 1950s.
Erected 2016 by Union City Heritage Water Trail. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Michigan - Union City Heritage Water Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union City MI 49094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The St. Joe Tavern & The Bucket (within shouting distance of this marker); Caille Richards Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Broadway Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Riverside Hotel, Duo Coach & UCI (within shouting distance of this marker); Chivas & Jack's Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); Titlow House & Parachute Factory (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Flood of 1908 & Broadway Bridge "Island" (about 400 feet away); Riverview Park (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union City.
More about this marker. There are 28 of these markers comprising the Union City Heritage Water Trail on the Coldwater River and the St. Joseph River launched in 2016 for the village's Sesquicentennial. These markers can be viewed by paddling the 5 mile stretch of river from the JP Palmer Launch in the SE corner of Village of Union City to the Riley Dam on the SW Corner of Union Lake. Most of these markers CANNOT by accessed by foot as they are on private property along the river. Please do not trespass. More details can be found at www.uchwt.com
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2016, by Val Rossman of Union City, Michigan. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 9 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 16, 2016, by Val Rossman of Union City, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. View of marker in context • Can you help?