Cheyenne in Laramie County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Cheyenne's Early Fire Companies
There would be four separate fire companies by 1890, the year of Wyoming Statehood. Three were located in downtown Cheyenne while the fourth was located in Cheyenne's south side where it could respond quickly without having to cross the railroad yard with its many setts of tracks and its massive array of machine, repair and storage shops.
Located in what was known as Cheyenne's Old City Hall, on the south side of the 400 block of west 17th Street, the Durant Steam Fire Company, organized
Each of the four companies had drills during which two-wheeled horse carts were pulled through the streets by teams of men working like horses. Each company later had horse-drawn wagons that provided pressurized water, carried long ladders and extra hoses to fires. The Chief's buggies and the horse-drawn wagons and their associated equipment were eventually replaced by motorized trucks and cars.
The Albert Hose Company (1877) was located at 1713 Capitol Avenue between 17th and 18th Streets and occupied a new brick two story firehouses in 1890. The Company's motto: "We Strive to Save" was inscribed above the second story window. The building was torn down in 1960.
The Pioneer Hook & Ladder Company's Headquarters Building (1888), located at 1712 Pioneer Avenue (originally Eddy Street), is the only building of the four companies still standing. It was located just around the corner for the Durant Steam Fire Company.
Clark Hose Company (1888) was located on the corner of 11th Street and Warren Avenue. The building was torn down with the expansion of the UPRR yards in the early 1920s. The stone sign of for the Clark Fire House was removed
* All of the fires companies were replaced by the Cheyenne Fire Department in May 1909. The Department celebrated its Centennial in 2009. In the beginning the Department had two paid companies and by 1912 Company No. 1 had a Chief and 14 men, 2 horses, a hose wagon and 2000 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose. Company No. 2 had a Chief, 10 men, Chief's buggy, one 65' Aerial Truck fully equipped, one Seagraves combination Hose and Chemical Wagon, one hose wagon in reserve and 5,000 feet of 2 1/2" cotton hose. They also boasted having six horses. Cheyenne was also listed as having 133 double and 27 triple hydrants, a pumping plant and 100 lbs per square inch water pressure.
Erected by City of Cheyenne, Cheyenne Historic Historic Preservation Board, Cheyenne Area Convention and Visitors Board, Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund and Preserve America.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1909.
Location. 41° 7.988′ N, 104° 49.408′ W. Marker is in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in Laramie County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 716 West 19th Street, Cheyenne WY 82001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Durant Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mt. Sinai Congregation (approx. ¼ mile away); The Cattle Barons & Business Giants (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cheyenne's Heritage at a Glance (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First Transcontinental Highway (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Tivoli Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Suffrage Tablet (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheyenne.
Also see . . . Cheyenne, Early Fires - Wyoming Tales and Trails. There is, of course, one difficulty of a tent and wooden city -- fire. The city had scarcely been settled when in October 1867, a prairie fire threatened the city. The residents managed to save the city by battling the fire with wet burlap bags. The editor of the Evening Leader complained, "A ruinous fire is the danger we, in this town, of tinder like tenements live under at all times." (Submitted on June 17, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.