The Indianapolis Times (originally published as the Sun in 1888) moved to this site in 1924. In the 1920s, it led a crusade against the Ku Klux Klan, exposing the Klan's influence in Indiana politics and spurring investigations into corrupt state elections. For this public service, the Times won journalism's highest award, the Pulitzer Prize, in 1928.
Times advocated for the benefit of the public: organized Clothe-A-Child campaign during the Great Depression; won national award for its work on behalf of the mentally ill (1955); and identified jobs for the unemployed (1961). Exposed state highway scandals (1950s) and errors in crime statistics (1962), leading to better police patrol. Ceased publication in 1965.
Erected 2013 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Hoosier State Press Association Foundation, Marion County Historical Society. (Marker Number 49.2013.2.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Communications.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Road (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abraham Lincoln (about 400 feet away); Indiana State House (about 400 feet away); Indiana Woman's Suffrage (about 400 feet away); Thomas Andrews Hendricks (about 500 feet away); St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church (about 700 feet away); President Benjamin Harrison (about 700 feet away); J. F. Darmody Company Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
1. Replaced previous marker erected in 1979.
A previous marker (#49.1979.1), contained the following text:
The Indianapolis Times, begun as The Indianapolis Sun in 1878, was published here from 1924 until it ceased publication October 11, 1965. The Times won journalism's highest award, the Pulitzer Prize, in 1928 for exposing the Ku Klux Klan.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 17, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.