Sterling in Rice County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Monroe Apartments
T.H. Brown, owner of the Citizens State Bank, built this office building with the unusual arched doorways in 1900. It had upstairs apartments and also housed such businesses as Hockaday Broom Corn Company, Western Union, and other professional offices. The total renovation was completed in 2001 by Glenn and Melinda Chambers.
Erected by Historic Downtown Sterling, Ks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 38° 12.52′ N, 98° 12.434′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Kansas, in Rice County. Marker is on Monroe Street west of Broadway (Kansas Highway 14/96), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sterling KS 67579, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Landis Hollinger Mercantile (a few steps from this marker); The Mincer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bulletin (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Emporium (about 400 feet away); The Santa Fe Depot Meade Post No 14 G.A.R. Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cooper Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sterling.
Also see . . . "A Souvenir of Sterling, Kansas" (1925). RootsWeb website entry (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on April 5, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.