Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1892 Victoria County Courthouse
In 1891, under leadership of county judge J.L. Dupree, commissioners held a competition for new courthouse plans. They awarded the contract to the San Antonio firm of Gordon & Laub, comprised of acclaimed courthouse architect J. Riely Gordon and D.E. Laub. Martin, Byrne & Johnston served as general contractors. Due to Gordon's many pressing commitments, he was discharged in May 1892. The Commissioners Court relied solely on Martin, Byrne & Johnston, who added elements to Gordon's design. Their work was approved by Eugene T. Heiner, himself a noted architect, and the county accepted the completed building on January 1, 1893.
As was his style, Gordon designed a courthouse reflecting the Romanesque Revival architecture of architect Henry Hobson Richardson. He adapted
When the need for more space arose in 1961, residents petitioned to save the courthouse, and the county built new facilities on the northeast corner of the square. Work at the turn of the 21st century largely restored the courthouse to its original design.
Erected 1961 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6576.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 28° 47.979′ N, 97° 0.427′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Bridge Street and West Constitution Street, on the left when traveling north on North Bridge Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 N Bridge St, Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victoria County (a few steps from this marker); Victoria County, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Victor M. Rose (within shouting distance Home County of William Pinckney McLean (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); De Leon Plaza (about 300 feet away); Brownson's Bank (about 300 feet away); Mundt Place (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 4. submitted on October 26, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.