Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town Hall School
The previous Town Hall School was a brick building constructed in 1852. The existing wooden structure was built in 1895 at a cost of $677.50. This one-room school served as a social center for families in the community. Holiday celebrations were highlights of the year for all. From the 1880s, until its doors closed in 1957, student enrollment remained in the 30-40 range. One year during the depression there were only two students in attendance. At least 97 teachers taught here during the 105 years that the school was in session.
Eastern Michigan University, originally named Michigan State Normal School, was one of the first public teacher training institutions west of the Allegheny mountains. As the University's official sesquicentennial
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic District Commission. (Marker Number YC-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #06 John Quincy Adams series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 7, 1987.
Location. 42° 14.953′ N, 83° 37.479′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on West Circle Drive, 0.2 miles west of Oakwood Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ypsilanti MI 48197, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eastern Michigan College (approx. Ό mile away); Ypsilanti Water Tower (approx. Ό mile away); Reverend John D. Pierce (approx. 0.4 miles away); Facing the Fire (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ladies' Literary Club House (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. In Loving Memory of Carpenters Post No. 180 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.