Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Xenia in Greene County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Stevenson Road Covered Bridge

 
 
Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 23, 2016
1. Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1877 and spanning approximately ninety-five feet, the Stevenson Road Covered Bridge carried vehicular traffic until 2003. it is one of a few Smith truss bridges left in the United States. The Smith Bridge Company manufactured the bridge using various patents of the company, which were secured by it’s founder, Robert W. Smith. The company originated in Tippecanoe City, Ohio (Tipp City) and later relocated to Toledo. In 1890 the Toledo Bridge Company purchased the company from Smith, Robert Smith died in 1898 at the age of sixty-five, leaving behind a legacy of unique covered bridges.
 
Erected 2015 by Greene County Engineer The Ohio Historical Connection. (Marker Number 28- 29.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
 
Location. 39° 44.094′ N, 83° 53.922′ W. Marker is near Xenia, Ohio, in Greene
Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 23, 2016
2. Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker
The site from a distance, the new replacement bridge is to the left
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is at the intersection of Stevenson Road (County Route 76) and Jones Road (County Route 86) on Stevenson Road. The bridge crosses Massie Creek. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1873 Stevenson Rd, Xenia OH 45385, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stevenson Cemetery Gate (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stevenson Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Kezia Emery Hall (1913) (approx. 1˝ miles away); Carnegie Library (1907) (approx. 1˝ miles away); Payne Theological Seminary (approx. 1˝ miles away); Old Wilberforce University Campus at Tawawa Springs (approx. 1˝ miles away); Martin Robison Delany (approx. 1˝ miles away); Central State University (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Xenia.
 
Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 23, 2016
3. Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker
Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 23, 2016
4. Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Marker
Sign on the east gable end of the bridge
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 24, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=95404

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2021