Bass Harbor Head Light
In the nineteenth century, the waters near this light station bustled with merchant ships, fishing vessels and schooners, which carried granite, fish, lumber and lyme to distant ports, or bought goods from around the world back to Maine.
Many of the islands you see were once inhabited by people who made their living from the surrounding sea. By 1860, nearly one in five Maine residents was a mariner. Today, Swans Island is the only island in view with a year-around population.
As ships and commerce have changed, the light station has been automated, but never darkened.
(Inscription in the box on the right)
Bass Harbor Head Light 44 13.3N, 68 20.3W-built 1858-Height: 56 feet above mean high water-Maximum visibility: 13 nautical miles-Light: red occulting—4 seconds on, 1 second off-Lens: 4th Order Fresnel Classical-Automated: 1974. The light is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. The small building
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 44° 13.328′ N, 68° 20.237′ W. Marker is in Bass Harbor, Maine, in Hancock County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road. The lighthouse is located in Acadia National Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bass Harbor ME 04653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bass Harbor Head Light Station (a few steps from this marker); A Steadfast Light (a few steps from this marker); Mariners Beware! (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Bass Harbor Head Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Natural Seawall (approx. 2.1 miles away); Joseph T. Musetti Jr. Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 5.6 miles away); Carriage Roads - Building the Roads (approx. 6.7 miles away); Somes Sound (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bass Harbor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 138 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.