Shiner in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kaspar Wire Works
In 1898 he began the full-time manufacture of wire baskets and horse muzzles. His backyard shop was equipped with little more than a pair of pliers and his inventive genius. A rented wagon was the original Kaspar show room.
Arthur H. Kaspar, son of the founder, purchased the business in 1924. In 1949 a grandson, Don G. Kaspar, joined the organization. Kaspar Wire Works has progressed to assembly-line manufacturing of nationally and internationally distributed goods— -- including display racks, baskets, newspaper racks, wire shelving and many other products.
The growth and success of Kaspar Wire Works was officially recognized in 1967 by the bestowal of the first annual Governor's Expansion Award under the auspices
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2903.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 26.202′ N, 97° 9.881′ W. Marker is in Shiner, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on State Highway 95 north of Miller Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 959 TX-95, Shiner TX 77984, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spoetzl Brewery (approx. ¼ mile away); United Evangelical Lutheran Dr. Martin Luther Church (approx. half a mile away); Sunken Garden Dance Platform (approx. half a mile away); Shiner Opera House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Masonic Lodge Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Welhausen Park Bandstand (approx. 0.6 miles away); Captain Charles Welhausen (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shiner, Texas (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiner.
Also see . . . Kaspar Wire Works article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on June 26, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.