Shiner in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
The members acquired two acres of land at this site in 1891, and a frame sanctuary was completed in May of that year. In February 1892 a tornado caused extensive damage to the original church structure, but it was rebuilt on a larger scale.
Designated a parish in 1912, the growing congregation soon needed larger facilities. This structure, designed by F. Wahrenburger, was built in 1920-21 by volunteer laborers led by the Rev. F.X. Wolf. An outstanding example of the Romanesque revival style of architecture, it features stained glass windows imported from Munich, Germany; cut stone detailing in the pinnacles and buttresses; an arcaded front portico; and a soaring, square tower with octagonal spire. Listed in the National Register
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4489.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 25.423′ N, 97° 9.932′ W. Marker is in Shiner, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on Saint Ludmila Street west of Avenue E (Alternate U.S. 90), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 St Ludmilla Street, Shiner TX 77984, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Ludmila's Academy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist Church of Shiner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sunken Garden Dance Platform (approx. half a mile away); Masonic Lodge Building (approx. half a mile away); Cotton Industry in Shiner (approx. half a mile away); Sarah Creath McSherry Hibbens Stinnett Howard (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Shiner (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shiner Opera House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiner.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.