Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Armory was built with high ceilings, allowing excellent natural light, and includes a prominent l,700-square-foot mezzanine. Until the 1960s, the building was used as a community center, a gymnasium, an arena for sporting events, and a place for public meetings and high school dances. Photo from "Blacksburg Understanding a Virginia Town, Town Architecture" Donna Dunway, 1986.
(caption) The Armory Building ca. 1986
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1936.
Location. 37° 13.763′ N, 80° 24.94′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Draper Road NW and Jackson Street NW, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 Draper Rd NW, Blacksburg VA 24061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Black (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Frank Henderson (about 500 feet away); The Cellar Building (about 600 feet away); Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Houston Squires (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carol Montgomery Newman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paul Ernest Torgersen (approx. ¼ mile away); Virginia Tech War Memorial Chapel (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 26, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.