Wallingford in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Old Stone Shop
Built in 1848, by Batcheller & Sons, makers of pitchforks
For many years after 1808, farm implements were manufactured here. Lyman Batcheller & his sons bought the forge in 1835, and their forks became famous throughout the U.S. and Europe. In 1902 they merged with the firm making True Temper products, which re-built the Inn.
Erected 1949 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 43° 28.118′ N, 72° 58.681′ W. Marker is in Wallingford, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on S. Main Street (U.S. 7) 0.1 miles south of Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 S Main Street, Wallingford VT 05773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wallingford Revolutionary War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Ralph H. Pickett Veterans Memorial Park (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paul P. Harris (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rural Otter Creek Valley Multiple Resource Area Kingsley Grist Mill (approx. 4.3 miles away); Ira Town Hall c.1800 (approx. 6.2 miles away); Thomas Morgan House (approx. 7 miles away); A. W. Gray & Sons (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallingford.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 27, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.