Cheyenne in Laramie County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Aviation in Cheyenne (1930-1950s)
It was at Cheyenne's airport facility that the first de-icing equipment was installed on aircraft. It was also where wide-scale installation of variable-pitch propellers, cabin heaters, and on-board air to ground capable radios was begun. So proficient were United's Cheyenne mechanics that they brought observers from Britain, France, Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany. As United continued to update its fleet with new aircraft, its mechanics at Cheyenne developed an international reputation for innovation and problem solving, creating new solutions for old and new aircraft alike. At one time, Cheyenne was considered the largest aviation roundhouse in the world.
With America's entry into World War II in 1941, United was asked to put its technical expertise to use for the American war effort. In late December 1941, two Boeing B-17 bombers were flown to Cheyenne with instructions to modify the planes to carry extra fuel and a battery of cameras for aerial photography. Shortly thereafter, another order was placed to modify eight more B-17s for the British. These aircraft turned out to be photo-reconnaissance aircraft to overfly
United's Bomber Modification Center #10 in Cheyenne was bustling with activity during World War II. Between January 2, 1942, and July 31, 1945, the facility retrofitted 5,736 Boeing B.17 bombers with equipment the factory could not install because of heavy production schedules.
The Cheyenne airport was enlarged by the construction of two new hangers in 1942 and a third in 1943. By the spring of 1943, 1,600 workers were employed at the center with an average of six planes a day leaving Cheyenne for combat areas. In 1942 United also transferred their flight training school from California to Cheyenne. Almost 100 students were in training year round. After the war most of the hangar and rework facilities on the northside of the airport were turned over to the Wyoming Air National Guard and the former Boeing/United Headquarters Building became the City's Airport Administration Building.
Because commercial airplanes remained unpressurized until the mid-1950s, most could not fly directly west from Denver over the Rocky Mountains thus Cheyenne remained a major regional airfield and was often used especially in inclement
The Boeing/United Airlines Terminal, hangar and Airport Fountain in Cheyenne were built for BAT between 1929 and 1934. The Louis Sullivan-influenced designs form a consistent theme at a time when Cheyenne's Municipal Airport was a major was a major air transport facility. The 1930 hangar was designed by Cheyenne architect Frederic H. Porter and the 1934 Art Deco fountain was designed as a memorial to early aviation history.
Erected by City of Cheyenne, Cheyenne Historic Historic Preservation Board, Cheyenne Area Convention and Visitors Board, Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund and Preserve America.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Air & Space. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list.
Location. 41° 9.208′ N, 104° 49.235′ W. Marker is in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in Laramie County. Marker is on East 8th Street near Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East 8th Street, Cheyenne WY 82001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aviation in Cheyenne (1920-1930s) (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Transcontinental Airmail Route* (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Cheyenne Reservoir (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Pacific Steam Engine #1242 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Floyd and Edna Young Folk Art Fence (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Trails (Part I) (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cheyenne Frontier Days™ (Part I) (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cheyenne Frontier Days™ (Part II) (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheyenne.
More about this marker. This marker is in front of the airport administration building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.