Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Plain in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Plain Free Library

 
 
Fort Plain Free Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 8, 2016
1. Fort Plain Free Library Marker
Inscription.  
Fort Plain
Free Library Formed 1885 By
Women's Library Association
and Martha Bortle, Local
Educator. Chartered 1894.

 
Erected 2014 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicCharity & Public WorkEducation. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
 
Location. 42° 55.937′ N, 74° 37.34′ W. Marker is in Fort Plain, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Willett Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 Willett Street, Fort Plain NY 13339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Diefendorf Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ta-Ra-Jo-Rees (approx. ¼ mile away); Greene House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Plain (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Plain War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Revolution in the Mohawk Valley
Fort Plain Free Library & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 8, 2016
2. Fort Plain Free Library & Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Plain (approx. 0.7 miles away); Clinton March (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Plain.
 
Fort Plain Free Library Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 8, 2016
3. Fort Plain Free Library Plaque
This plaque is mounted to the right of the main entrance to the library:

This Building
Erected in 1836
Was Given in 1909 To The
Fort Plain Free Library
(Founded in 1885)
In Memory Of
Harvey E. Williams
And His Son
James H. Williams

In 1909 the family of James H. and Harvey E. Williams presented the Greek Revival home at the corner of Willett and River streets, residence of the Tanner family, to the library association. In 1827 Harvey E. Williams opened the first tin and hardware store in Fort Plain, just two years after the completion of the Erie Canal. The Gazetteer and Business Directory of Montgomery County, N.Y. 1869-70, published by Hamilton Child & Co., Syracuse, NY 1869 has two listings for Harvey E. Williams of Fort Plain:

    H.E. Williams & Co., president Shipman Spring & Axle Co.

    Harvey E. Williams and John E. Reid, hardware, stoves, tinware &c., Canal.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   3. submitted on July 12, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=95733

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2021