New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
New Brunswick Station
William H. Brown, Engineer
The New Jersey Railroad, chartered in 1832, was completed between Jersey City and New Brunswick in 1835. On January 2, 1836, the first train, a new locomotive named "The New Brunswick" traveled down from Newark at fifteen miles an hour. Thirteen cars filled with guests from along the route were decorated with banners bearing the names of the counties, cities and villages the line passed through. In order to traverse the Raritan River and Delaware and Raritan Canal on this line, passengers were transported across the old Albany Street bridge (1795) in stagecoaches at a cost of 6 1/2 cents. This method of carrying passengers over the waterway only lasted two years for in 1838, a steel railroad bridge was constructed over the channels. In 1902, after the line was incorporated into the Pennsylvania Railroad, the current stone arch bridge replaced the steel bridge. New Brunswick station was built in conjunction with the 1902 arched span during the P.R.R.'s massive reconstruction of the main line (1890-1910). The station was constructed from standardized plans designed by William H. Brown, Chief Engineer
Erected by NJ Transit.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
Location. 40° 29.793′ N, 74° 26.774′ W. Marker is in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Albany Street and Easton Avenue on Albany Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 Albany Street, New Brunswick NJ 08901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Queen’s Campus (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alexander Johnston Hall (about 500 feet away); Rutgers 9/11 Memorial (about 600 feet away); Van Nest Hall (about 600 feet away); Winants Hall (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Queen’s Campus (about 700 feet away); Class of 1924 Memorial (about 700 feet away); Queen’s College (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brunswick.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.