Miles in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Thiele Building
Built 1904 by Joe Thiele (1850-1940), sheep rancher and civic leader. Native stone used here was dug at Willow Creek (2 mi. W).
First floor housed Runnels County National Bank; upstairs was Miles Opera House–social and cultural center of Town–staging road shows, political rallies, and wrestling bouts. In 1923, school was located here.
Later this structure was used as dry goods store, grocery, post office, hotel, and (again) a bank.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
Building was owned after 1929 by Henry W. Bigler (1878-1966) and wife, Mabel Hancock Bigler (1886-1961), who operated it as the “Hotel Miles”.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5459.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 31° 35.908′ N, 100° 10.98′ W. Marker is in Miles, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Robinson Street (Farm to Market Road 1692) and Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miles TX 76861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miles Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sweet Home School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Oldest Rock Building in City (approx. 8.6 miles away); Rowena (approx. 8.6 miles away); SPJST Lodge No. 49 (approx. 8.9 miles away); Sons of Hermann Lodge (approx. 9 miles away); R. F. Tankersley Homestead (approx. 11 miles away); Community of Tennyson (approx. 11.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.