Caldwell in St. Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Original Site of Pleasant Hill Methodist Church
The first church was a one room log building. In 1882, a second log church was erected in front of the original structure and functioned as the church and school. It was moved to the northwest corner of the cemetery when a third building was erected in 1902. Church members cut trees from their farms for the lumber to build the third building. Vandiver Sanders,, a carpenter, supervised the construction. The administrative board members, then called stewards, were G.B. Burttram, R.G. Cleary, Owen Hulbert, Bob Ingle, and Tom McCullogh.
In 1936-37, Rev. J.H. McKnight, also a carpenter, supervised the construction of two wings. Three Sunday School rooms and a basement were added in 1950, supervised by Alford Holderfield. In 1961, a vestibule and steeple were added under the supervision of R.C. Burnett and T.R. Tinsley with moneys raised raised by the Senior M.Y.F. In the steeple was a bell donated by
This church building was removed in 1979 after completion of the current brick building across the cemetery. The church fathers' faith in Christ lives in the members today.
Erected 1995 by Mr. and Mrs. James L. Davies and Mrs. Elsie Washington Davies.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 49.229′ N, 86° 22.84′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Alabama, in St. Clair County. Marker can be reached from Pleasant Hill Church Drive, 0.1 miles north of Washington Valley Road (County Route 31), on the left when traveling north. The marker is located an the south end of the Pleasant Hill Church Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springville AL 35146, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holly Springs School (approx. 4.7 miles away); First Baptist Church Of Springville (approx. 5.8 miles away); Union United Methodist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Assassination Site of Sgt. E. Frank Harrison (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Dean / Inzer House (approx. 7.3 miles away); A County Older Than The State, St. Clair (approx. 7.3 miles away); Dalco Obed Langston (approx. 7½ miles away); John Ash (approx. 7½ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.