Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Perry Hall in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Harry Dorsey Gough

1745-1808

— Maryland History —

 
 
Harry Dorsey Gough Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Marks, July 27, 2008
1. Harry Dorsey Gough Marker
This marker, located at the parking for Gunpowder Falls State Park north of Perry Hall, provides information about Harry Dorsey Gough. The bridge that spans the Gunpowder River near here is dedicated to Gough.
Inscription.  
The founder of Perry Hall, Gough owned a 1,300 acre estate that bordered the Gunpowder Falls. He dominated commerce in Northeast Baltimore County during the colonial period. An active supporter of the Methodist church, he sheltered Francis Asbury and others at the Perry Hall Mansion.
 
Erected 2004 by Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series list.
 
Location. 39° 25.662′ N, 76° 26.643′ W. Marker is near Perry Hall, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Belair Road (U.S. 1) 2.4 miles north of Forge Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at a parking lot for Gunpowder Falls State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingsville MD 21087, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gunpowder Falls State Park (within shouting
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); The Sweathouse Road (approx. ¾ mile away); Perry Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Baltimore Embroidery / The Tanner Homestead (approx. 1.4 miles away); Germantown (approx. 1½ miles away); Camp Chapel (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 1.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perry Hall.
 
Regarding Harry Dorsey Gough. Harry Dorsey Gough was a leading merchant and landowner during Baltimore County's colonial period. He completed construction of the Perry Hall Mansion, where he and his wife Prudence sheltered early Methodist leaders such as Francis Asbury.
 
Also see . . .
1. Perry Hall Mansion. Explore Baltimore website entry (Submitted on February 16, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. Perry Hall. Improvement Association website (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.) 

3. Harry Dorsey Gough. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on January 7, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Harry Dorsey Gough image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Marks
2. Harry Dorsey Gough

 
 
Perry Hall, 1900 image. Click for full size.
via PHIA, 1900
3. Perry Hall, 1900
Harry Dorsey Gough Bridge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Marks, July 27, 2008
4. Harry Dorsey Gough Bridge
The bridge at Belair Road and the Gunpowder River was dedicated in honor of Harry Dorsey Gough in October 2004, following a request by the Perry Hall Improvement Association and a vote by the Maryland State Roads Commission. Gough is considered the founder of Perry Hall, Maryland. His property included the Perry Hall Mansion and this area in the late Eighteenth Century.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,197 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.   3. submitted on January 7, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   4. submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9611

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024