Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kaufman in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Kaufman

 
 
First Baptist Church of Kaufman Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rheba Bybee, July 24, 2016
1. First Baptist Church of Kaufman Marker
Inscription.  Organized Nov. 5, 1871, by Elder J. B. Daniel, assisted by The Rev. A. D. Manion, missionary of East Fork Baptist Association. Nine charter members met in homes or other places until 1883, when the first small white frame church with steeple was erected. Ladies formed a Benevolent Society, 1885.

Second church was a classic brick structure, razed by fire on Dec. 18, 1937. The present building was dedicated March 24, 1944.

From the original nine, the congregation has grown to such size as to use a staff of four, including a bilingual pastor for its Latin-American mission.
 
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8507.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is November 5, 1871.
 
Location. 32° 35.252′ N, 96° 18.55′ W. Marker is in Kaufman, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Street (State Highway 34) and West Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling south on South Washington Street. Touch for map.
First Baptist Church of Kaufman image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rheba Bybee, July 24, 2016
2. First Baptist Church of Kaufman
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 South Washington Street, Kaufman TX 75142, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of Our Merciful Saviour (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenslade Drug Store (about 500 feet away); Kaufman County Confederate Soldiers Monument (about 600 feet away); Mrs. William P. King (about 700 feet away); Kaufman County (about 800 feet away); Colonel Isham Chisum (about 800 feet away); Covenant United Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kaufman.
 
Also see . . .  First Baptist Church of Kaufman. (Submitted on July 28, 2016.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=96170

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 27, 2022