Kaufman in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Organized August 7, 1848
Named in honor of
David Spangler Kaufman
Came to Texas in 1837 and
located at Nacogdoches
Member of the Texas Congress
Member of the United States
Kaufman, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 8528.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 26, 1848.
Location. 32° 35.375′ N, 96° 18.578′ W. Marker is in Kaufman, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is on West Grove Street west of North Washington Street, on the left when traveling west. On the courthouse grounds, at the back of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Mulberry Street, Kaufman TX 75142, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mrs. William P. King (a few steps from this marker); Colonel Isham ChisumKaufman County Confederate Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenslade Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Kaufman (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Covenant United Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Church of Our Merciful Saviour (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kaufman.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.