Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Great Walk
The promenade leading from Congress Avenue to the Capitol’s south entrance is called the Great Walk. Completed in 1889, the Great Walk was considered one of the most significant features of the Capitol grounds, formalizing a connection with Austin’s most important street. In 1996, the 107-year-old Great Walk was removed due to its deteriorated condition, and replicated. The checkerboard-patterned concrete walk is 25 feet wide and 500 feet long, with rounded limestone curbs. The trees which flank the Great Walk were originally sycamores, although elms and live oaks were planted, and reproductions of the 1907 slat-style, steel park benches were installed. The existing light fixtures along the walk are original; they were installed in 1915 and restored in 1996.
Erected by State of Texas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Landmarks. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 30° 16.438′ N, 97° 44.44′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from East 11th Street just north of Congress AvenueTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 Congress Avenue, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Terry’s Texas Rangers Monument (a few steps from this marker); Artesian Well and East Drinking Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Cisterns (within shouting distance of this marker); Terry Rangers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Southern Confederacy Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battles for Texas Independence from Mexico (about 300 feet away); Hendrick Arnold and Samuel McCulloch, Jr. (about 300 feet away); The 21st Century (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on December 23, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.