Catholic University in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of the Catholic University Law School
In 1921, the law school became a member of the Association of American Law Schools. By 1925, The Catholic University Law School became one of the first District of Columbia law schools to be recognized by the American Bar Association. In 1938, the school was one of only 10 law schools in the United States requiring a baccalaureate degree of every candidate for admission.
In 1954, the CUA law school merged with the Columbus University School of Law which had been established in 1922 by the Knights of Columbus. The new school became the Columbus School of Law of The Catholic University
After twelve years, the law school returned in 1966 to the CUA campus to occupy the newly constructed Leahy Hall. The facility was named for the last president of the Columbus University, William Leahy, a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Enrollment increased steadily during the sixties and seventies and the school soon outgrew Leahy Hall. In 1983 space in McMahon Hall was converted into classrooms for law school use. In 1988 the school expanded into Keane Hall to provide additional teaching, study, and administrative space.
The law school moved into a newly constructed building in the summer of 1994. For the first time in years, all components of the school were housed under one roof with adequate space to ensure a quality legal education for generations to come. This building was dedicated October 1, 1994.
Small, lower dedicatory marker:
Gift from William J. Whalen, '83 and Carol A. Whalen, In honor of Mary E. Parker and in memory of James L. Parker
History of The Columbus University School of Law
In 1919, the national chapter of the Knights of Columbus founded more than 100 evening school programs nationwide, including one in Washington,
In 1922, funding from the national chapter of the Knights of Columbus for these evening programs was depleted. That same year, the local Washington, D.C. council of the Knights of Columbus voted to continue the evening school program, but limited the curriculum to law and accounting. The name of the program was changed to the Columbus University School of Law. In August 1922, the Columbus University School of Law was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia and continued to operate under this charter until June 1934. In that year the United States Congress granted the charter under which it operated until 1954.
The local council's goal for the school was to enable "young men and women in moderate circumstances" to study the law. The 1928-29 Announcements describes the faculty as "attorneys actively engaged in the practice of the law before various branches of the government in Washington, and before the various courts of the city."
By 1939, the Columbus University School of Law had the third largest enrollment in the United States with 1,059 students. The law school was accredited by the American Bar Association in 1944.
The Columbus University School of Law was originally
In 1954, an act of Congress signed by President Eisenhower approved the merger of the Columbus University School of Law with the Catholic University School of Law to form the present Columbus School of Law of The Catholic University of America.
Small, lower dedicatory marker:
Gift from William J. Whalen, '83 and Carol A. Whalen, In honor of David D. and Mary D. Whalen
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #34 Dwight D. Eisenhower series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 1, 1994.
Location. 38° 56.158′ N, 76° 59.84′ W. Marker is in Catholic University in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker can be reached from John McCormack Drive Northeast north of Michigan Avenue Northeast, on the left when traveling north. The marker is on the grounds of the Catholic University of America, near the entrance to the Columbus School of Law. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3600 John McCormack Drive Northeast, Washington DC 20017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Father Michael J. McGivney (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Richard Drew Memorial BridgeDr. Justine Bayard Ward (approx. ¼ mile away); Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lois Mailou Jones Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Jackson H. Gerhart House (approx. half a mile away); The Civil War Defenses of Washington (approx. half a mile away); Christ, the Light of the World (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Catholic University.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 30, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.